About your Privacy
Your privacy is of paramount importance. Of course, it is necessary for us to collect and store personal information in the process of creating a booking and complying with the various laws and regulations that govern our business; we can’t just let you arrive, say you want to hire a boat and then wave you off downstream.
This document informs you of the kind of data we collect, we collect it and what we will do with it.
A quick summary
There's quite a lot of detail to read below and not everybody is interested, so in summary:
- We take reasonable steps to secure your personal data
- We won't share your personal data with anybody outside the circle of responsibility for your holiday or other business with us unless there is a legal need to
- You can ask to see what data we hold and ask us to make corrections if there are inaccuracies
- You can opt in and out of receiving marketing information from us (and only us)
Feel free to read on if you would like further details of how we work with your data.
Collection and Use of Information
How we collect information
We collect information about you via a variety of different methods, including:
- When you book, or enquire about booking a holiday directly with us
- When you book a holiday through one of our Booking Agents
- When you hire any of our day boats or other day hire craft
- When you complete a form on our website or send us an email
- When you request a brochure from us
Who we share Information with
Freedom Boating Holidays Ltd is a booking agency. We advertise holidays and day boats on behalf of boatyards and boat hire operators and process the bookings on their behalf too. As part of this process, we must share all your data with those boatyards/operators so that they can provide the boat hire service to you.
Booking a holiday with us
When booking a holiday with us, we will collect personal information to enable us to process your booking:
- Your name, address, telephone number, age, gender and email address
- The name, address, age and gender of your party members
We will also record your consent for receiving marketing information so that we can comply with your wishes in future. We will ask you at other times whether you consent to receive marketing information also. The most recent answers will always be taken as your current choice. It is necessary to collect your age (which could be by way of date of birth) and gender of you and your party members so that we can ascertain the composition of your party for safety, insurance and administrative purposes.
We may record telephone calls for security, training and quality purposes.
Booking a holiday via a Booking Agent
If you book a holiday via a Booking Agent, the Agent will request all of the information detailed in ‘1.3 Booking a holiday’ on our behalf. The Booking Agent may also request additional personal information. Please also review the Privacy Notice of the Booking Agent.
We use Waterways Holidays as a booking agent – www.waterwaysholidays.com
Day hire bookings
When you book day hire craft from us, we will collect and store the following information:
- Your name, address, contact telephone number and email address
- The names and age groups of everybody in your party
- We will also record your consent for receiving marketing information
How we use your Personal Information
The information that you provide to us will be used:
- To process your booking and to provide you with information about your holiday
- To identify your eligibility for, and to provide you with any offers or discounts, based upon your previous booking history
- At your request, to provide you with brochures and other marketing materials.
- For statistical purposes when we evaluate our services
- To manage customer service requests
- To provide any other information that you may have requested
- To satisfy any legal request for your data that a legal authority might reasonably demand in the event of collision, injury or illegal activity.
We will not send you any marketing information unless you explicitly opt into receiving this information.
You can opt-in to receiving marketing information at the time of booking your holiday, via various services on our web site, when you arrive to collect your boat or when you leave or by informing us at any time.
It would be unusual for you to receive any marketing material that is not sent by email and any email or other electronic communication will have an Opt Out system, commonly an UnSubscribe button. If you receive marketing data from us and you would wish to stop, just use the automatic links within that.
How we store your information
Your personal information is stored within a booking system provided by Holray Systems Limited who act as a Data Processor on our behalf. Holray Systems Limited can only process and store your Personal Information in accordance with our specific instructions given by us. Holray Systems are also required to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect your information from unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction, damage, alteration or disclosure.
Your personal information will also be stored by us on paper and in various electronic formats on our internal computer system.
If you cancel your holiday with us, we may still request and process personal information about you or the affected party member(s). We do this so that we can fulfil our legal obligations.
We do not retain any payment card information that could cause illegitimate payments from your accounts. We will retain a transaction reference and also the last 4 digits of the payment card that you used.
How we protect your information
We take reasonable steps to protect and secure the personal information that we hold, whether on paper or electronically.
All communications with our website and booking system are secure using standard web security protocols.
Who we share your personal information with
We may share your information if we are required by law or to help provide our services to you. This may include sharing certain information with:
- Our group of companies
- Other third parties where you have given your consent to the disclosure
- Owners of cottages or other accommodation where we are acting as agents, on their behalf
- Our insurance companies in cases of accident, injury or other claims.
- The emergency services
- The Broads Authority who issue our operator’s licence.
- Other law enforcement and Government agencies
Third Party Service Providers
We use a number of third party service providers which enable us to offer our services to you.
These providers will maintain their own connection logs, which will include the IP address of the connecting device, along with the date and time. The third party services may also process and store personal information on their servers.
These third party services providers may store and process information in countries outside of the European Economic Area.
Cookies and tracking
How long we keep your information
We will not keep your personal information for longer than necessary for our business purposes.
If you have signed up to receive our marketing information, we will keep your details until you unsubscribe. Look at the last email marketing message you received from us and there will be an Unsubscribe link at the bottom.
As a customer you may, from time to time, be entitled to loyalty discount if you book another holiday directly with us. In order to do this, we need to retain your personal information and may contact you about our services during this time, if you have not opted out of receiving marketing communications.
For accounting reasons, your booking history will be held for a period of not less than six years from the end of the financial year following the date that your last holiday commenced.
Access to your Personal Information
You have a legal right to request a copy of any personal information that we hold about you. Of course, in effect this is minimal as the only source of personal information we could have would have already been provided by yourself.
However, if you would like to see what data we hold, please make a ‘Subject Access Request’.
Providing such data may take us some time to collate and we have a legal requirement to respond within 30 days of your request. We cannot make a charge for the data unless we can demonstrate that the request is unfounded or excessive.
If you make a SAR to us and find that the data is wrong, we would welcome the opportunity to make corrections. Any data that we hold cannot be deleted at your request as it may have knock-on implications with our legal need to hold that data for other reasons.
Links to third party websites
This Privacy Notice does not apply to any third party web sites that this web site links to. All such web sites are responsible for their own privacy.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We keep our Privacy Notice under review and we will place any updates here but we are not required to inform you of any change.
This Privacy Notice was last updated: 13th January 2020.
If you wish to register a complaint about how we handle your Personal Information, you can contact the Information Commissioners Office who are the Supervisory Authority for Data Protection in the United Kingdom.
Contact details for the Information Commissioners Office are located on their website:https://ico.org.uk/concerns/